Pages

Monday, March 15, 2010

Adaptive Sports


Last weekend I headed to the mountains of Wintergreen just outside of Charlottesville with the family and friends. We had planned a two day get-a-way with our kids for skiing and relaxation.

The idea of skiing for me was foreign. Since my cancer operation in 1988 I had not participated in any sport of this kind. With the removal of certain muscles, any impact blow to my leg could turn bad long term. However, Wintergreen has an Adaptive Sports program for those with disabilities that hinder them from participating with traditional ski methods. With the support of the Craymer family, I decided it was time for me to ski with my kids rather than sit and watch.

It was awesome! And it was also a growth time for me. It was awesome because I was doing a sport with my kids I thought I would never be able to do following my surgery. It was a growth moment in my life because I had never accepted the fact that I should or could participate in an Adaptive Sports program. While I am blessed in comparison to those who have lost limbs or battle CP, it was still a hurdle for me mentally and it was awesome!

I hit the slopes with an instructor on a mono-ski. Basically I sit in a chair strapped in and under me is a single ski. The key is to use your core to balance yourself on the ski. With my upper body and arms, I have two mini ski's I use for turning and guiding. Trust me it takes major focus and arm strength to work this system as well as concentration on stabilizing the core muscles. The instructors linked me to them with a tether rope in order to help me maintain speed while skiing properly. I was able to ski two full days and on the final run,with great joy, I controlled the complete run myself and cheered with excitement through the last turn and down to the gates. I did it and I did it with my kids! It reminded me of the scripture passage that I had claimed in 1988; Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Throughout the course of the two day ski, I was able to share God's plan for my life with those helping me.

I am thankful to the Craymer's for encouraging me and to the Wintergreen Adaptive Sports Program that provides opportunities for those with disabilities to take the slopes for a day of fun and accomplishment.

1 comment:

  1. From your biggest fan! It was amazing to see you on the slopes...you and the boys were awesome! Can't wait to do it again!

    ReplyDelete