Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Augusta

There is no place like Augusta, GA - home to the The Masters Golf Invitational. There are a lot of sporting events throughout the year, but this one ranks top of my list to watch and follow. For a majority of them I can participate in other events or activities, but the Masters is one that grabs my attention for the weekend.

2010 brought about another championship for my favorite Phil Mickleson. I have been cheering for Phil since my days in high school as a golfer and his days at Arizona State. As I was watching him today I thought to myself, "why do I put myself through this." Watching Phil play sometimes brings out the emotional roller coaster in me. Phil is a great player, but tends to be up and down at moments luring you into a sudden cheer and then into a sudden anxious panic (I am aware I should not be this impacted by a TV golf event but I am). Through it all this weekend, Phil put it together and won his third Masters Tournament.

This brought my attention to a song we sang today in worship regarding "laying them down." Laying down our struggles and sins and anxieties of our lives. And I asked myself the same question this morning, "why do I allow myself to experience an emotional roller coaster event in my spiritual life?" Why is it that some days I am as confident in the days events and others I just can't grasp it and lose my focus. The answer is that I do not trust Christ and I do not "lay them (worries and life issues) down." No where in the scriptures will you find our relationship with Christ to be an emotional experience. For if it was, we would all be in trouble. Our relationship with Christ is based on His work on the cross and the Holy Spirit guiding and directing our lives. It's based on truth not feeling or emotion.

Like me, "lay them (whatever your emotional worries or life issues are) down." Enjoy the guidance and direction of Christ and the Holy Spirit in your lives. It's then that we can begin live to in freedom and joy of what is ahead of us.

On a side note - it's great to see Phil win the Masters after a year of his wife Amy battling cancer. That's a story in the world of golf worth hearing. Although I am afraid the scandalous gossip of another golfer will still grab the attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment