Pages

Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Cost of a Bathroom Experience

Over the last week I have had the opportunity to attend the Va State Fair and travel to South Carolina. In each of these two events, I have found a similar theme..the cost of a bathroom experience.

Between the years 2001-2005, my family and I lived overseas and traveled throughout several countries. What I learned about living outside the U.S. was that it cost to use the restroom! Every time I entered the "WC" or washroom, I would have to leave a tip to the person sitting at the entrance. I was never really sure they were cleaning the facility, but they were employed...by me and others needing to desperately hit the "WC."

Well four years later, the trend has hit the U.S. At the state fair and in the Charlotte Airport I was hit by the urge. So, in both locations, I walked in and there it was - the cost of a bathroom experience. An elderly man in one location and a young man in another. I began to debate this in my mind as to whether I should tip or not and reflected of how it was overseas. My bathroom experience has now moved to the side of anxiety as to how will I face the men waiting for me to leave. Finally, after much debate, I walked out with my head up strong while greeting the two men knowing that I had given financially to the cause (still not sure what they do).

I guess we are just getting closer to a universal world. We have now taken up the habits of other countries. But, on the positive in this financial hardship, I have to give the guys props for finding a way to make a living. And I found joy in supporting their ambition.

1 comment:

  1. Washing your hands while being supervised by a bathroom attendant: ten cents.

    Doing something involving the numbers "1" or "2" while being supervised by a bathroom attendant: fifty cents.

    Knowing that the bathroom attendant just might slip some extra anti-bacterial stuff your way: priceless.

    ReplyDelete