Pages

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Focus

One of my struggles I battle is focus. Maintaining a proper focus can be difficult with all the things going on around me. From adult league play, fitness classes, facility issues, Upward sports, and volunteers; I simply allow the non-essentials to overtake the essentials of my purpose and task ahead of me.

I remember playing sports and my coaches teaching me to have focus: keep my eye on the ball in order to get a good hit in baseball or focus on the mid section of an opposing player in order to play solid defense in football or basketball. Having a good focus will eliminate the "fake" that another player can put on you or even swing at a pitch that will fool you.

Hebrews 12 talks about "keeping our eyes on Jesus, the source and perfecter of our faith." To many times I find myself looking at outside distractions (though some have to be dealt with) that I am unable to really see what God is doing in and around me. When our focus is weighed down by the troubles of this world and our daily grind, we lose sight of the finish line that God has for us - the presence of Himself.

Staying focused, that is focusing on God's plan and directives, is a discipline that has to be practiced. It's setting our minds on the things of the Spirit and allowing Him to control the view ahead of us. So, in this busy life, let's discipline ourselves to remain focused on God's directives, and not the distractions (troubles, struggles, and inadequacies) of our daily lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment