Pages

Sunday, August 01, 2010

22 years ago...

This morning marks the 22 year celebration of being cancer free. It was August 1, 1988 that I found myself diagnosed with a rare cancer (4th in the world) and headed into surgery at the Medical College of Va. That day comes with many memories and emotions:
  • Uncertain as to why me
  • President of the orthopedic cancer society was my surgeon, Dr. Walter Lawrence
  • Family and others support
  • A lot of sick people around me
  • My Dad and I laughing as they wheeled me into operating room
  • Peace of God present during the early prep for surgery
  • And many others ....
And with each of these, came God's plan for my life. Though I was uncertain, God was sure (Jeremiah 29:11). God had provided the best surgeon for the task and many family and friends were supportive through the process. Yes, I was surrounded by many other children who too were fighting, and God taught me that there are always others with needs. The presence of my father was that of laughter and jokes in the midst of a crisis, it was a true picture of who God is in our lives - a loving and caring father who provides peace in the midst of a storm. And as I grow older each year, I recognize more the blessing that God has given me - life.

The celebration of today will not necessarily be that of a party or big announcement, but simply a presence and awareness of thanking God for his blessings over the past 22 years.


1 comment:

  1. Love you Baby! Can not say enough how thankful I am for God's plan on your life to include ME!
    Here's to another 22 years and more!

    ReplyDelete