Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Remember Being Kids


Saturday I was in Washington DC with my wife, youngest son, and my mom to see the Washington Wizards play. Yes, my mom loves a good NBA game! And we were privileged enough to have done it from the floor behind the bench. While we were in town and I was trying to thaw out from the previous days fishing trip, we stopped in Starbucks off Pennsylvania Ave for a warm drink (temps were still around 40). And the sign I saw hanging in the door caught my attention.

"I wish GROWN UPS could remember being KIDS"

This was great! Multiple thoughts hit my head all at once. I thought about the fun of Christmas and the anticipation it brings as we decorate the tree as a family, resort back to the days of receiving Radio Flyer wagons, Schwinn bikes, opening new pajamas on Christmas Eve, Eggnog, and the spread of Hickory Farms. I then thought about my youngest, Brendan. With his strong personality and independent nature, he can find himself in a pickle every now and then. And to often I over jump the situation, not remembering what it was to be a kid and make some of the same decisions he seems to be making now (with my mom present I couldn't help but be reminded I did the same things). And then Sunday morning, my friend Friar Tuck spoke about Christmas from a young heart perspective. He reminded us that we may grow old in years and our views of the magical Christmas may change, but Christ desires us to approach Him like a child. In a "kidlike" faith we accept His gift to us - the birth,death, burial, and resurrection of a Savior. And it's only when we respond in that "kid" like faith that we truly grasp and depend on Him for all things.

Wow, little did I know that a simple cup of Joe from Starbucks would lead to such thought and reflection of my life. From the joys of Christmas memories with my family, to my struggles of parenting and remembering what it is like to be a kid, and the overwhelming joy of simply responding in "Kid" like faith to embrace the greatest love ever given.

I invite you to read the sign hanging in the blog one more time.Go ahead, act like "kid." It's a great day for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment