Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

When the Fish Don't Bite

Unfortunately we didn't come home with any trophy fish. However, we did come home with cold bones and a good time (yes it did end being a great boat ride in 20 degree weather with 1 ft seas and 8 mile winds).

As I have reflected on this time, the question that arises is, "how do we respond when the fish don't bite?" Some would consider this day to be a "skunk" and not look favorably on it. Others would say it was a good day because a "bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work." And the opinions could go on. My response would be that it was a good day. It was a good day because I had the opportunity to build relationships with the other guys I was fishing with, I had the opportunity to talk about spiritual journeys, and it was a good day because in those conditions we remained safe and protected from harm.

Fishing is both a term and a profession we see used throughout scripture. Look at the number of times Jesus said, "let your nets down and follow me." Or when Jesus said, "I will make you fishers of men." There is a lot going on here with this idea of fishing. People understood the profession and now Jesus was calling them to apply the same disciplines in order to connect and create relationships with people.

It really was amazing for me to watch my outdoor friends prepare lines on Thursday and Friday. They set certain hooks. They cut and trimmed certain materials so the bait would look just right. They changed bate and reset hooks for certain depths of water and currents. They chartered the map of the Potomac River Thursday night and again on Friday morning. All of theses details generated the excitement of the possibilities that were ahead of us - a big catch. However, even with all these preparations we still did not catch a fish. In fact we, along with other commercial boats, did not report a bite on the lines.

As Christians we have been called to fish - to share the good news of what Christ has done in our daily lives with others around us. But in order for us to share, we have to learn to be intentional. Jesus was intentional with others every day (John 4:1-41). He took the initiative and He engaged others despite the circumstances surrounding Him and others. Being intentional begins with setting your heart and mind on the things of Christ and expecting God to use you throughout the day. Yes, it also will require us to be prepared for that moment as well. Be prepared to share your story, pray with someone, or share a scripture verse you have recently learned or applied in your own life.

A former professor of mine said this, "You have to love fishing more than you do catching." These words summed it up for me. Not everyday will I catch fish, share the gospel, or see someones life transformed. But every day, like my outdoor friends, I can be excited about preparing myself for the possibilities that may come each day. I can be excited about my story, what I am reading the Bible, and how God is growing and challenging me. I can be excited about simply fishing. And leave the results to God.

Today, be excited about your story and God's message to the world (The Christmas Story). And learn to enjoy fishing more than you do catching. Remember, it's the process of growth in our lives that brings joy to our Saviors face.

No comments:

Post a Comment