Pages

Monday, December 28, 2009

Thankful for the Opportunity

I've just moved into 1 Corinthians for my daily reading. While I was waiting for some car upkeep this morning, I decided to get started reading. And was hit with the thought of being "thankful for the opportunity."

You see, most of us strive to be wise, be smart, educate ourselves, and do well. While I am one who fits that category and does not negate the idea of bettering ourselves, I am still humble with the opportunity (ies) I have been given.

1 Corinthians 1:18-31 packs a big punch. I can not give you all the nuggets that hit me today, but will offer a few.

The first thing is a reminder of God's sense of humor! Whether you believe it or not, God is funny. I simply laughed at myself while reading that even God's weakness is stronger than what man can offer and that the foolishness of God is still smarter and wiser than man. If you need an example, visit Dubai now. It's a man made pleasure playground, but now is sitting on the brinks of ruin. God even warns us that man's wisdom will come to pass.

The second thing is the fact that God gives us opportunities despite our flaws in wisdom and power. Verses 26-30 reminds me that I am really not wise by worldly standards. Sure I have some degrees behind my name, but I am far from others. That I am not or have not been in powerful positions. While most of my jobs have been fun and placed me all over the world, I still had little say so. And the fact that I was not of noble birth. Although, I am a product of a good Christian mother and father. Despite missing the worlds mark, God has given me opportunities that I could have never achieved without His placing me in them.

And finally, I was reminded that my hope as a believer in Christ is my daily power, wisdom, and insight to all my needs and desires. That those who are not of the Christ life spend their time mocking Jesus, fighting for Christianity to go away, and slapping Christians in the face for a "soft" belief or "intolerable" belief. But, if the character of God is true; and I believe it is, it is those people who are foolish.

As you reflect over the past year and search for the next one, remind yourself where the source of your life comes from - Jesus Christ. Verse 30 says "He is the source of your life in Christ Jesus, whom God made our wisdom and our righteousness and sanctification and redemption. Therefore, as it is written, "Let the one who boasts, boasts in the Lord." Be thankful for the opportunities that God has given you and the unknown ones ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment