Pages

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Words of Paw-Paw

Great two days on the campus of George Mason. Tyler is registered for his fall classes, we learned the Mason fight song in preparation for the 2010-2011 athletic seasons, headed into DC for dinner at Bistro Du Coin (great French food), and bid farewell by way of the bookstore and 3.5 hours of traffic back to Richmond.

On the last day of our visit while sitting in one of the twenty-eight places to eat on campus, the words of my father-n-law came screaming out of my mouth in utter shock....."We didn't have this when I was in school." Yep, I said it. This is the phrase he often uses to share stories about the college he and I attended, only years a part. And while he often mentions the benefits to my eduction, I can totally understand the difference now. The opportunities that Tyler has waiting for him at George Mason makes my college experience dinosaur like. And I can only imagine what it will be for my father-n-law on his visit to the campus.

So, here are a few things I'm jealous about, or should I said "We didn't have...."
  • Cafeteria is no longer a word used with twenty-eight other dinning options
  • The window to eat 7 Am - 7 PM has now changed to 6 AM - 4 AM (next morning)
  • Digital textbooks
  • Three full size recreation facilities for students (where's the old gym?)
  • From no Internet / email to facebook and a wireless campus
  • No long lines for registration. It's all done on your computer now
  • Living learning communities
  • Free Laundry services that inform you online when your clothes are finished
I guess once again, another part of my life where I am growing up.

1 comment:

  1. When I wne to school I would not of wanted 28 different places to eat what they called food.

    ReplyDelete