Pages

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

And the Wind Blew....

This has been an interesting week for those of us on the east coast and particularly in the Richmond, VA area. We have had an earthquake and now Irene, the hurricane that knocked out power for 2 million people in Va.

Having grown up near the beach, I can remember several hurricanes that rolled into the coast and we would ride them out proudly. No way was my father leaving his domain and therefore the rest of us were staying put also. And that mentality has been instilled in me. But this week I learned something: either I am getting older and realizing the potential disaster I never saw my dad worry about or Irene was more than we could handle. I think it's a combination of both.

Through it all this week, I am thankful for:
  • safety and protection
  • power being back on, but also thankful for power being off and putting away the "electronic-al" burdens of our culture.
  • the beautiful weather that follows the storm (same for us in our spiritual lives)

This week was a reminder of God's mighty power and creation that no man can control. And even in the midst of the storms and quakes, He loves us deeply and has a plan for each of us. Check out Romans 8:35-39 and reflect on that truth. Brad Hoffmann, our new Pastor at Cool Spring did a great job expounding on this Sunday as we gathered with no electricity.


No comments:

Post a Comment